Friday, October 06, 2006

On Being a New Mommy . . . A few observations.

Where to start?

Ok, I would like to start with the FACT that Meredith Narelis Fuller is the MOST beautiful baby ever seen on the face of this planet. I wonder if any mother anywhere thinks differently of their children. She is also incredibly smart – I can tell.

One thing that became obvious to me at 11:44 pm on September 19, 2006 is that being a parent is not for wimps. There is unbelievable amount of love, happiness and excitement – mixed with equal parts pain, terror and uncertainty.

The definitions of sleep and rest are erased from a new parent’s vocabulary the moment the baby takes her first breath/scream. Who knows for how long?

A baby’s first smile – and she did smile I don’t care what the books say – can make anyone, even the hardest of hearts weep. Ok, I am a little weepier than normal.

Meredith seems to have been born with a tapeworm. How is that possible? I don’t know but I am always feeding her (ALWAYS –REALLY), so there is definitely something in her belly.

Breastfeeding is an amazingly personal and touching thing. Sure it can hurt and it is not always convenient, but being able to bond with Meredith. It is amazing. Bing able to talk to her, sing to her and have her look at me while she is eating like I have the answers to all her questions – well it makes me weepy as well.

Baby’s fingernails grow at alarming speeds and they are incredibly small making it very difficult to cut the nail without possibly cutting the skin. Talk about terror. They are also incredible sharp and scratch mommy very easily. So while I am terrified, I mean what parent would ever want to make their baby bleed? I have to do it right? Maybe I should wear a blindfold.

It is possible for Ryan and I to watch Meredith for hours and be completely entertained and amazed. She makes the most amazing faces and has so many looks to her little face, I wonder if she will still make those faces as she gets older.

There is so much more that I could say –things that I have seen in the last two weeks that I would never have learned from a book. But I guess the bottom line is that while I am tired, smelly, and behind on all the projects I would love to get done. I am also incredibly happy and I have no doubt that this entire experience is worth it.

Definitely worth it to do at least once! But it is definitely one of those things that you have to live to really understand.

No comments: