Saturday, January 17, 2009

First Day of School!

Walking into school with DaDa on the first day.

Standing in the School entrance waiting to find her classroom.


Meredith's first day of school was this past Monday - January 12th. It went really well. We had no idea what to expect or how she would deal with it. Ryan and I went and dropped her off together. We got there right at 8am and the place was a little nuts - which I am sure is normal for early Monday morning. My heart was beating out of my chest I just did not know what to do or how to feel. But I could not let any of that show because I did not want to upset Meredith. She was a little hesitant at firsthand her eyes were bigger than saucers in her face. We all walked together to the classroom where the kids meet in the morning before they got to their own classrooms. Her teacher was not there and she did not let go of my hand. Ryan said goodbye to her so he could go to work and she said goodbye no problem.

I stayed and we just watched kids come in and the teacher in charge take role and keep the kids calm until Meredith's teacher got there. When her teacher came into the room she came over to Meredith and engaged her right away. She went with her and left me behind without looking back. I stayed in the room for a good 10 minutes just watching she did great. Then I said good bye and watched from outside the room she just kept sitting at the table with her teacher working on some puzzles. No tears. I, on the other hand, cried all the way out of the school and all the way to the house. I went back to the school at 10:30am to see how she was doing. I was worried that she might be have been too tired to finish her time, but she was out in the playground having a great time. I watched for a while and left her - I came back after lunch to pick her up and she was waiting for me calmly at the table - we came home and she took a nice long nap.

Of course she has a cold already - but that in itself is good so she can build up her immunities before she starts kindergarten. So Meredith is doing great. She seems to really like her school and she is adjusting great. She went every day this week. I am still a nervous wreck and I am pretty sure that Ryan is the same. I guess that in the next few weeks we will see how everything works out.

My only regret is that I did not get a chance to take more pictures, but she would not let me. She told me very clearly, EVERY time I tried - "No pictures MaMa."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They grow up SO fast!!

Titi Yari